One of my favorite things to do is share my books and experiences as a writer with audiences of all ages! I’ve presented to groups as small as seven to as large as several thousand and hope we can make a visit work for you!
I am the author of WRITTEN IN THE STARS (Penguin), a Library Guild Selection, a best book selection of 2015 by Bank Street Books, and a 2016 YALSA Quick Pick For Reluctant Readers, it was was also named one of the top ten books all Young Georgians Should Read 2016. My next novel is a middle grade novel AMAL UNBOUND (May 2018, Penguin) and a picture book BILAL COOKS DAAL (March 2019, Simon & Schuster/Salaam Reads)
As a former teacher, I love working with students. I work with students from preschool through twelfth grade and also have been invited to speak at colleges such as NYU and Princeton University. As someone who has worked with a wide range of people, I am able to format my presentations to keep the audience engaged and interested. I am also happy to work with schools to identify which Common Core standards my presentation and work meets.
In-person Author Presentations:
I love to speak with people of all ages in schools, libraries, writer workshops, conferences, and festivals. While my middle grade and picture books are still forthcoming, my school visits primarily involve visits in grades 6-12 for my young adult novel WRITTEN IN THE STARS. I also do workshops with adults on writing and craft in various capacities. The following are examples of presentations and workshops I have given for my young adult novel. I am also happy to work with schools to fit their needs.
– Author presentation (45-60 minute presentations)
- A 45-60 minute presentation and Q&A with an entertaining power point presentation on Pakistan, a conversation about forced marriages, and an GIF filled look at my journey to becoming an author. Advice can be applied to any dream/goal that students may have.
- Other Presentations (45-60 minute presentations):
- The ins/outs of becoming an author.
- Book Clubs
- Forced marriage in the United States and around the world.
- Islam 101- Information about what Islam is, who Muslims are, and deconstructing stereotypes and myths.
- Anti-bullying talks. Presentations on bullying, the author’s own experience with bullying and tips and advice on coping when such situations arise.
Writing Workshops (60-90 minute workshops)
How to generate ideas
Plot development and creating conflict
Poetry workshops (particularly spoken word)
How to self-critique and critique others work
How to use ones life to create stories
Keynotes and Teacher Conferences
As a former educator myself I love talking to teachers. I have presented at NCTE
and various teacher events. I can tailor a keynote or presentation on relevant topics as
In-Person Author Visit Rate
Local Visits (Georgia)
Full Day Program: $1,300 (+ Mileage reimbursement at $.50/mile. If
your location is more than 60 miles drive for me, I will kindly ask for one night in a hotel. As we all know, traffic in Atlanta is no fun!)
Local Full Day Program: A full day visit is a limit of 3-4 one-hour presentations and lunch with staff and/or kids and sign books. Upon booking I will send you a questionnaire so we can build the perfect school visit.
Local Half Day Program: (within metro-Atlanta only): $750 (+ Mileage reimbursement at
$.50/mile.): Half day visits consist of a maximum of two one-hour programs with Q&A. (I may request to kindly be scheduled between 9:30 and 1:30 to allow for my children’s school schedules.)
Outside of Georgia Visits
Full Day Program: $2,200 (+ hotel, travel, expenses)
– A full day visit is a limit of 3-4 one-hour presentations and lunch with staff and/or
kids and sign books. Upon booking I will send a questionnaire so we can build
the perfect school visit.
– If the visit is drivable (Alabama, South Carolina, parts of Tennessee) I will please ask to
be reimbursed for a hotel room for whatever number of days I present plus one. Also, I
will kindly ask for mileage reimbursement calculated at $.50/mile.
– If the visit requires airfare, I will please ask for round trip airfare, a hotel room for the
number of days I’ll visit plus one (so if I visit you for one day, that would be two nights
hotel) and reimbursement for either all Uber/Lyft expenses or a rental car.
SIDE NOTE: I am enthusiastic about traveling countrywide. Consider checking with surrounding schools to also book speaking engagements with me. This way, flight and lodging costs can be split among districts.
– Please Note: I do very limited Skype visits and can only do them on Mondays.
o With a proof of purchase of five copies of my book, I am happy to provide a complimentary 15-minute Skype visit. I request questions be sent to me in advance.
o I provide up to 30-45 minute author talks with schools for $100. Program can be
tailored to the needs of the classroom. I’ve done Q&A on my book, writer’s
journey, and specific topic conversations as well.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for considering me as a choice for your visiting author! There are so many choices of wonderful books/authors out there–I never take your interest for granted.