One of my favorite things to do is share my books and experiences as a writer with audiences of all ages! I’ve presented to groups as small as seven to as large as several thousand and hope we can make a visit work for you! If you are interested in booking me please contact my booking agency, The Author Village, at: email@example.com
I am the author of WRITTEN IN THE STARS (Penguin), a Library Guild Selection, a best book selection of 2015 by Bank Street Books, and a 2016 YALSA Quick Pick For Reluctant Readers, it was was also named one of the top ten books all Young Georgians Should Read 2016. My next novel is a middle grade novel AMAL UNBOUND (May 2018, Penguin) and a picture book BILAL COOKS DAAL (March 2019, Simon & Schuster/Salaam Reads)
As a former teacher, I love working with students. I work with students from preschool through twelfth grade and also have been invited to speak at colleges such as NYU and Princeton University. As someone who has worked with a wide range of people, I am able to format my presentations to keep the audience engaged and interested. I am also happy to work with schools to identify which Common Core standards my presentation and work meets.
In-person Author Presentations:
I love to speak with people of all ages in schools, libraries, writer workshops, conferences, and festivals. While my middle grade and picture books are still forthcoming, my school visits primarily involve visits in grades 6-12 for my young adult novel WRITTEN IN THE STARS. I also do workshops with adults on writing and craft in various capacities. The following are examples of presentations and workshops I have given for my young adult novel. I am also happy to work with schools to fit their needs.
– Author presentation (45-60 minute presentations)
- A 45-60 minute presentation and Q&A with an entertaining power point presentation on Pakistan, a conversation about forced marriages, and an GIF filled look at my journey to becoming an author. Advice can be applied to any dream/goal that students may have.
- Other Presentations (45-60 minute presentations):
- The ins/outs of becoming an author.
- Book Clubs
- Forced marriage in the United States and around the world.
- Islam 101- Information about what Islam is, who Muslims are, and deconstructing stereotypes and myths.
- Anti-bullying talks. Presentations on bullying, the author’s own experience with bullying and tips and advice on coping when such situations arise.
Writing Workshops (60-90 minute workshops)
How to generate ideas
Plot development and creating conflict
Poetry workshops (particularly spoken word)
How to self-critique and critique others work
How to use ones life to create stories
Keynotes and Teacher Conferences
As a former educator myself I love talking to teachers. I have presented at NCTE
and various teacher events. I can tailor a keynote or presentation on relevant topics as
– Please Note: I do very limited Skype visits and can only do them on Mondays.
o With a proof of purchase of five copies of my book, I am happy to provide a complimentary 15-minute Skype visit. I request questions be sent to me in advance.
o I provide up to 30-45 minute author talks with schools for $100. Program can be
tailored to the needs of the classroom. I’ve done Q&A on my book, writer’s
journey, and specific topic conversations as well.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for considering me as a choice for your visiting author! There are so many choices of wonderful books/authors out there–I never take your interest for granted.