To the left you see the virtual equivalent to the current state of mind of yours truly. Add to it Hajj frustration. And the utter lack of chocolate in this house and you have a very unhappy camper (minus camping)
Years ago my dad and I listened to Zig Ziggler, a motivational speaker describe being stuck at the airport after a long week away from his family. He encountered rude people, missed his flight, the next one cancelled due to snow, and a 12 hour airport stay. His response: That’s Fantastic. Ofcourse he did not feel that way but he ascribed to the “fake it till you make it” school of thought and decided not to react but instead respond to the situation. So instead of reacting by bemoaning the negative he responded by being grateful for the positive: namely, that that the powers that be caught the dangerous weather condition before they took off, that he was in a warm and toasty airport with plenty of coffee and could finish a book he had and work on some writing he’d been meaning to catch up on. His point was simple yet crucial: If he chose to be upset and complain and cry his circumstance would not change. By the end of it Ziggy (if I can be so familiar) was satisfied and content with his situation.
He’s right. Why grumble over what you cannot change? So in honor of you Ziggy, let me think of the good:
1. True I don’t know if I’m going to Hajj. True I may not know until two days before. But who doesn’t like surprises? Okay, I hate surprises but still… surprises can be fun right? How exciting!!
2. Yes I hate studying. Yes I have to study. Yes I would rather watch paint dry than look at one more hearsay hypothetical but I’m so lucky it will be over soon. I am lucky to be in my last year and I am so lucky I was able to find abundant study aides to assist in that which I am incompetent.
3. Yes I proscratinated an hour away watching Mean Girls on TBS instead of reviewing my practice exam but that one hour is now forever gone and besides, Mean Girls is funny and at least I had a comfy couch to sit on, and eyes to see with and chai with which to drink as I took a “well deserved break”
4. Yes I could really do with some chocolate right now. Yes I am a chocolate aficiando grateful for chocolate of all shapes color and sizes. And yes there is no chocolate, not even chocolate syrup in the house. But I’m grateful that if the desire was unbearable there is a Walgreens within jogging distance containing all the chocolatey goodness I could ever hope for. And besides this helps me finally start the diet which is eternally set to begin “tomorrow”
5. Yes there is an owl hooting in my backyard. Yes for some reason birds are drawn to my house and find quiet joy in driving me nutty. In the morning they chirp right by my window. At night they hoot me out of peace of mind. Hmm.. how about, at least they wake me up at a reaonable hour so I don’t sleep in too late and keep me up at night so I can make sure to get maximum studying done?
Feeling better already…